About Me

My photo
I have been a Cub Scout Den Leader since 9/04, Cubmaster since 2/07. I have also been a Boy Scout Troop Committee Member and Merit Badge Counselor since 2/08, changing to an Assistant Scoutmaster in June of 2011. Since spring of 2010, I have also been the Lighthouse District Cub Scout Program director, in charge of planning district-wide events. I have three boys -- Peter is a First Class Boy Scout, Nathan is a Tenderfoot, and Nick is working toward the Webelos rank. If you like this blog, please be nice and click a link.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

From trash (literally!) to treasure


As I was driving in to work one morning, I saw that somebody had put several wooden tool handles in with their trash. I don't know what tools they came from, but the handles were dark, spattered with paint, and generally in rough shape. But while this person saw these as trash, I saw them as something different. They are about 5' in height and 1" in diameter. Also, tool handles are typically made of hard woods like oak or hickory. I pulled them from their trash pile and put them in my car.

My son and I used an orbital sander to quickly strip off the layers of paint, stain, and grime from their previous use. Once we did all that, we were left with a very nice piece of wood. We used a woodburning tool to put his name and Boy Scout troop at the top. We applied a stain with polyurethane to give it a nice color and shine. We then wrapped the handle area with a colored cord, starting with a clove hitch, doing a series of half hitches to create a spiral, then finishing with another clove hitch. At the bottom, we put a furniture bumper.

In the end, we had a beautiful hiking staff -- one that he will be proud to take with him on hikes and campouts. And to think that somebody was just going to throw it away.

2 comments: