About Me

My photo
I have been a Cub Scout Den Leader since 9/04, Cubmaster since 2/07. I have also been a Boy Scout Troop Committee Member and Merit Badge Counselor since 2/08, changing to an Assistant Scoutmaster in June of 2011. Since spring of 2010, I have also been the Lighthouse District Cub Scout Program director, in charge of planning district-wide events. I have three boys -- Peter is a First Class Boy Scout, Nathan is a Tenderfoot, and Nick is working toward the Webelos rank. If you like this blog, please be nice and click a link.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Ceremonies

When I took over as Cubmaster several years ago, the outgoing Cubmaster gave me some scripts that had probably been passed down by several other Cubmasters before him. One was for our Arrow of Light ceremony, another was for the Webelos II Scouts crossing over into a Boy Scout troop. We have used these for the Blue and Gold banquets for as long as I've been involved with the pack.

While the crossover ceremony isn't bad, the Arrow of Light ceremony is a snoozefest. It is long, drones on, and none of it sounds like anything I would say. If I feel that way as I read it, I would hate to know what the audience thinks of it.

Here's the bottom line: there is no "official" ceremony for either the Arrow of Light or crossing over to Boy Scouts. You are free to do what you want, but you still want to make sure it is all about the boys and making them feel important and proud of what they have accomplished.

So, with that in mind, I whittled our Arrow of Light ceremony down from three pages to only one. It is short, sweet, and to the point. No more endless droning. It sounds more like a ceremony and less like a sermon.

In the end, I didn't make a lot of changes to the crossover ceremony. It has some elements that I really like, and it feels traditional to our pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment